E-commerce Optimization Guide: Everything You Need to Know
Do you think your online store is making as much money as it should? In the world of ecommerce, there is no such thing as ideal, but you can try to get as close to it as possible.
Ecommerce optimization is all about making small changes here and there to make your store run better and get more sales. But how do you know what changes you should make?
Remember that if you change the wrong things, they won’t work. They won’t help your store’s bottom line, and they might even hurt it.
We made this comprehensive ecommerce optimization guide to help you figure out what changes to make and how they might affect the conversion rate of your online store.
This guide has everything you need to know to set up your ecommerce store correctly and make it as successful as possible.
How to figure out your rate of conversion
Before you work on optimizing your ecommerce site, you should make sure the basics are in order. You might be surprised by how little store owners know about how to make their stores work best.
Conversion rate optimization is a key part of making your store work better. But before you do that, you should know what the conversion rate is and, more importantly, figure out what it is for your store right now.
A conversion can mean a lot of different things, but most of the time, it means a sale. Statista says that the average rate of conversion from PC is about 2.1%.
The conversion rate is just the amount of people who visit your site and buy something compared to the number of people who visit your site.
So, a big part of this ecommerce optimization help will be about how you can increase the number of people who buy from you. This means to get more people to act and buy from you.
10 tips for optimizing your online store to get more sales
Ecommerce optimization is usually used to describe a specific plan you can use to increase the number of people who buy something from your website. From the style to the navigation to the design, the goal should be to make it as easy as possible for people to buy from your website.
- Change and improve your product pages and landing pages oftenTrends in designing websites for e-commerce continue to change very quickly. If you don’t regularly change your landing pages and product pages, you’ll see a big drop in traffic.
Your landing pages are a key part of ecommerce site optimization and are important for making a good first impression. These are the pages where people will land, so it’s important to make sure they’re optimized well.
If you haven’t optimized your product pages and exit pages well, your bounce rate will be through the roof. You can improve your product and landing pages in a number of ways:
- Offer special deals. You can add special deals to attract more customers and get them excited.
- Select your best-selling items. Another great idea is to put together a list of your best-selling items on your website so that customers can see them right away.
- Use reviews of products. Having reviews on your site is a great way to increase the number of people who buy from you. People value the opinions of other people more than brands. If they see that other people who are like them bought and liked your goods, they will be more likely to buy it too.
- Use pictures of good quality. Use high-quality pictures to show off your goods. This is important so that buyers can make smart decisions about what to buy. Show the item from different points of view. Let them get a closer look at the details.
- Test with A/B. A/B testing compares two versions of your page’s features to see which one turns more visitors into buyers. You can do this with different A/B testing plug-ins.
- Work on getting pages to load faster.The success of your online store depends on how quickly your site loads. Several studies have shown that the bounce rate goes up when your website takes longer to load.
You’d like your website to load in a couple of seconds if possible. Because it doesn’t matter how interesting your site is if people leave before it loads. So important is speed to your change. So think of it as a very important part of your plan to improve your online conversion rate.
Here are some things you can do to speed up your website:
- Look for places to improve. Pagespeed Insights and GTmetrix are both great tools that can help you find out how well your website is doing. They also tell you what you can change, which helps you find key areas for improvement.
- Change to a service that is faster. If you have an online store, don’t use shared hosting. You need ecommerce service that is fast and can grow with your store.
- Change to a faster theme. Your choice of style can also affect how well your website works. To speed up your store, you might want to switch to one of the many fast WordPress themes.
- Get rid of any distractions on your site.What you see above is a great example of a well-made online shop. Putting too many distractions or things that move on your site is not a good idea, and it will hurt the way your store works.
One of the most important parts of ecommerce optimization is getting rid of things on your site that aren’t needed. For example, do you really need a sidebar on every page to get people to join your email list?
On a sales page, maybe a footer would do the job well? You might just need a full site audit to get started.
You can use a number of SEO audit tools to get a better idea of how well your website is doing and to get rid of things you don’t need for good ecommerce website optimization.
- Make your content uniqueModern buyers want a shopping experience that is very tailored to them. They like getting the “red carpet treatment,” and most ecommerce shop owners use this as a key point of difference.
If you can’t do that, you won’t sell as much. If you haven’t customized customer paths based on your buyer personas, you will lose sales. Here are some easy things you can do to improve your ecommerce:
Make some suggestions. Amazon does this very well, and you should too. Give your customers suggestions and goods that go well together. A lot more people buy when they hear about a product.
Use where you are. If you sell products around the world or in different areas, you can use geotargeting to give them in the same currency or make suggestions based on where they are sold.
Adapt based on the type of device. One of the most important parts of ecommerce optimization is making sure that the shopping experience is different depending on what kind of gadget the customer is using.
- Make sure your site is mobile-friendly.The chart above shows the world sales of mobile ecommerce from 2016 to 2021. This should give you an idea of how important it is to make your ecommerce site mobile-friendly when optimizing it. As you can see, the rate of change has continued to increase greatly, and it’s easy to say that mobile ecommerce is set to grow.
If your online store isn’t ready for mobile yet, you’re losing out. So, you need to make sure your online store works well on mobile devices. Here are a few things you can do:
- Check to see if it works on mobile. Use tools like Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test to make sure that your site’s text and images work well on mobile devices. Check to see if the details of your products can be read. Make sure that your site is mobile-friendly and easy to use.
- Choose a simple style. Don’t put too many things on your site. This will leave enough room for CTAs and product groups.
- Cut down on the amount of writing. Try to be as clear as you can when you write.
- Make pictures smaller. It should be obvious that you should always compress pictures before putting them on your website.
- Use tools to keep trackWith analytics tools, you can keep track of key performance indicators (KPIs) and data to see what’s working and what’s not for your ecommerce store. You’ll also be able to see where people left your website or what pages or parts of your pages led more people to buy.
With this information, you can improve the parts of your site that aren’t working so well to increase sales. For retail optimization, every choice you make should be based on data.
You should be able to use tools like Hotjar, Google Analytics, and MixPanel to track how users move through your website and how well your store is doing. Here are some important pieces of information you should know:
- Use analytics tools like Google Analytics.
- The KPIs and data for your store.
- Find your main ways of getting business.
- Important sales statistics, such as the average order value and the lifetime value of a customers.
- Any info on conversions
It’s important to keep track of these things before and after you make changes to your store to see if the changes make your store run better.
- Come up with relevant add-onsThe picture above shows how well Apple is at selling extra products. You can easily improve your computer’s specs with just one click. This is one of the most popular ways that companies try to sell more.
Most of the time, you can offer upsells in different places, such as on your checkout pages, product pages, or even after checkout. Upselling is a great way to give your customers more value for a higher price.
- Use A/B testing to hear from users more.A/B testing is a great way for people to give you more feedback. You can use A/B testing to find out what works and what doesn’t when you have an idea for a new color scheme or a new idea for a UX remake.
There are a number of ways to test landing pages with A/B testing. A/B testing compares two versions of your page’s features to see which one turns more visitors into buyers.
For example, you can test the conversion rates of two leads for your ecommerce conversion rate optimization: one that is short and to the point, and one that is longer and gives more information.
- Make sure your message is aimed at the right people.It’s also important to make sure your message is right for the people you want to reach. If you look at the picture above, it’s easy to see that Cloudways is trying to reach people who are interested in shopping with this page.
The language on the website is written for people who are interested in shopping, and it makes it clear how the product (hosting) can help them.
When you write the copy for your website, it’s very important to keep in mind who you’re writing for. Find out what hurts them and write it down.
Then, before you start writing the copy, you should figure out which of these your product solves.
- Simplify the way you check outIt’s also very important to improve your checkout process. From the time a user puts an order until the time they’re about to check out, there shouldn’t be any problems. Try to keep things easy and give people more choices, like a guest checkout.
If your store doesn’t have a way to check out as a guest, you’re losing out. If you want your cart failure rate to go down, you must offer a guest checkout.
No one wants to get to the last page of the checkout process and find out that they need to make an account before they can finish their buy.
For good ecommerce store optimization, you can also follow many other checkout page best practices.
Ecommerce optimization is a process that never ends.
Don’t forget that internet optimization is a process that never ends. Both trends and user tastes change over time. As new trends emerge, it’s important for website owners to adapt and make changes to their sites that fit the new style.
Questions Most Often Asked (FAQs)
Q1: How do I make my shopping site work best?
- Find the right keywords
- Make the buying experience unique.
- Use alt tags when you upload pictures.
- Use URLs that help with SEO.
- Optimize the pages for your products.
Q2. Why is it important to do online optimization?
Ecommerce optimization is important because it helps you improve sales and maximize the number of people who buy from you. This also helps you meet more people and get more customers.
Q3: How do you raise the number of people who buy?
With conversion rate, you can keep track of how well a website is doing. It helps site owners learn how people use their sites and lets them make changes to make them better. By keeping an eye on conversion rates, website owners can take steps to lower the cost of getting new customers and make more money from each user.
Q4. How should you start a program to improve the conversion rate?
- Using mega menus to make page navigation easier
- Putting in customer reviews and logos
- Using signs of trust
- Getting rid of things that don’t belong